Beer & Cheddar Soup with Garlic Sausage (kielbasa)
Ready in 1 hour
Serves 6 people
Adapted from Recipe at Bon Appetit
2 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
12 oz. lager
½ cup heavy cream
8 oz. mild yellow cheddar, grated
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb link Pine View Farms pork garlic sausage, cut into 6–8 pieces
1 apple, cored, sliced
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butter and stir until melted. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk in broth, beer, and cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 10–15 minutes. Reduce heat to low and whisk in cheese a handful at a time, whisking to combine after each addition. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to ensure cheese is melted. Working in batches if needed, transfer soup to a blender and purée until smooth (alternatively, use an immersion blender in the pot). Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a paring knife, score sausage, spacing cuts ½” apart. Heat 1 tsp. oil in a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp in spots, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Toss apple in remaining 1 tsp. oil in a small bowl. Cook in same grill pan until softened and slightly charred on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Divide soup among bowls; top with sausage and apple.