22 Minute Coconut Chicken Curry
Ready in 22 minutes
Serves 4 people
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
2½ teaspoons mild curry powder
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons virgin coconut or vegetable oil (plus 2 teaspoons; optional)
½ medium onion, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk (preferably full-fat)
1 (2½") piece ginger, peeled
4 garlic cloves, peeled
¼ cup raw cashews, chopped (optional)
1½ teaspoons yellow and/or black mustard seeds (optional)
5 ounces baby spinach
Cilantro leaves with tender stems and cooked rice or naan (Indian flatbread; for serving)
- Toss chicken with curry powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet (at least 12" in diameter) over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Purée coconut milk, ginger, and garlic in a blender until very smooth.
- Add chicken and coconut milk mixture to skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened, 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if using, heat 2 tsp. oil in a small skillet over medium. Add cashews and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2–3 minutes. Immediately transfer mixture including the oil to a small bowl.
- Fold spinach into chicken mixture and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with cilantro and cashew mixture, if using. Serve with rice or naan alongside.