Red Lentil Soup w/ Sage & Bacon
Ready in 50 minutes
Serves 4 people
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
5 slices (4 ounces) Pine View Farms bacon, cut into ¼-inch dice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium carrots, cut into ¼-inch dice
6 fresh sage leaves, minced, plus more for garnish
1 ½ cups red lentils
1 teaspoon ground cumin
5 cups homemade or Pine View Farms' chicken stock
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a piece of paper towel, and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, and carrots to saucepan. Cook vegetable mixture over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced sage, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, cumin, and chicken stock; stir to combine. Simmer until lentils are cooked and falling apart, 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, divide the hot soup among four soup plates, and garnish with the reserved bacon and additional sage.