Mushroom & Chicken Sausage Risotto
Ready in 30 minutes
Serves 5-6 people
Sourced from "The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook, Rockridge Press, 2016, Laurel Randolph, p. 100.
2 T. vegetable oil
1 package Pine View Farms' chicken farmer sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
3 T. butter
1 pound mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster, or a mix), thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 thyme sprigs, leaves only, plus more for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 c. dry white wine or red wine
2 cups Arborio or Calrose rice
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Select Saute on high heat on your pressure cooker. Add the oil.
- Once hot, add the sausage to brown it, for about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Melt the butter, then add the mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes until the onion is translucent and mushrooms are cooked. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the soy sauce and wine. Cook, scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of the pot, for about 3 minutes, or until the alcohol smell has gone.
- Add the broth and rice and stir. Secure the lid.
- Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, use a quick release. Stir. If the risotto is too soupy, select Saute and cook, uncovered, for a few minutes, Add the Parmesan.
- Serve topped with Parmesan and a few thyme leaves.
Variation: make this dish vegetarian by simply leaving out the sausage and using vegetable broth.