Beef Stew & Dumplings
Ready in 1 hour
Serves 6-8 people
Recipe by Melanie Boldt
This is Kevin's all-time favourite meal!
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup Pine View Farms Beef broth or water
1 pound potatoes cubed
1 onion diced
3-4 carrots sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried thyme or 5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Dumpling Ingredients (makes 6-8 dumplings):
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle beef stew cubes with flour and season with salt and pepper.
- In a dutch oven, on medium high heat, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil to pot. Once hot, add stew cubes and cook 5-7 minutes to brown on all sides.
- Add diced onion to pot and cook til translucent.
- Add broth or water to the pot, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. If you would like a thinner stew, you can add more broth or water.
- Add bay leaf, potatoes and carrots. Simmer at a low boil until vegetables are fork tender.
- Then add frozen corn and peas. Bring stew to a boil.
- For the dumplings, mix all ingredients (except milk) into a bowl breaking up the butter with a fork or pastry cutter. Then add milk and stir to make a thick batter.
- Drop batter into boiling stew from a tablespoon. Try to drop dumplings on meat or vegetables so it doesn't become covered with gravy. Cover tightly. Cook over boiling stew 12-15 minutes without removing lid.
- Uncover pot and serve immediately along with bread and butter. Enjoy!