BBQ a Turkey
Makes 1 turkey
This is very simple to do. Some variations include adding wood chips on the heat source to give the meat a smoky flavour. We always like to stuff the cavity lemons, garlic, and fresh herbs if we are not using stuffing. Brushing the skin with melted butter adds rich flavour and ensures even browning of the skin.
Fresh ground salt and pepper
- Preheat one side of the grill to medium or 350 F
- Season the outside of the bird with fresh ground salt and pepper
- Place your turkey directly on the unheated side of the grill in a foil roasting pan to catch drippings
- Close lid and let cook — Cold outside temperatures and wind can affect cooking time, so plan for a little extra time on cool days. For a 12-16 lb. turkey, roasting time is 2-3 hours with no stuffing.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure internal temperature reaches 170 F