All Purpose Spice Rub
Makes 1 1/4 cups
(enough to season 5-10 lb. of meat, poultry or seafood)
Recipe from Martha Stewart
1/3 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Dill or basil
- For the base recipe: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, using your hands to break up the sugar.
- Southwestern Rub:Replace some of the paprika with cumin, coriander and chili powder.
- Indian Rub: Replace some of the oregano and thyme with turmeric, curry powder, ground ginger, and cardamom.
- Mediterranean Rub: Replace some or all the oregano and/or thyme with dried tarragon, marjoram, and rosemary, dill, or basil. Omit the cayenne pepper.
- Store in a clean dry container.